Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Killing Rain by Barry Eisler

Page 33:

"I mean, look at us,” he went on. “Are we CIA? No, not really, we’re contractors. But the CIA uses us from time to time. And it ain’t just us. Hell, these days you’ve got Halliburton and Blackwater and DynCorp and Vinnell and Kroll-Crucible… these outfits are springing up all over, and it can be hard to tell where the government ends and the private sector begins."

"That’s true," I said.

"Plus you’ve got the government turning everybody into a bounty hunter by offering twenty-five million for Osama’s scrawny ass."

"Capitalism at work," I said. "Supply and demand."

"I know. Hell, when I was watching us shock and awe the Iraqis on CNN when we first went in, I kept expecting the announcer to say, 'This sortie brought to you by Kellogg’s Rice Krispies,' or something like that. It just ain’t as clear as it used to be."

0 comments:

Post a Comment